Have been through IVF and had the embryo transfer. What are the chances of pregnancy and miscarriage?

Infertility Specialist
Hi, i have just been through IVF and had the Embryo transfer ( 2 of them ) 10 days ago.
This was day 19 of my cycle. I had my blood test this morning to find out if i'm pregnant and my HCG level was 14.8. I have been told I am pregnant but i have to go back in 2 days to test my HCG level again as it's very low for a pregnancy. I have read alot on this topic today and it sounds like the chances are high that i will miscarry. Is this always the case?
Posted Thu, 15 Nov 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Biswajit Dash 2 hours later

I pretty well agree with you that the beta HCG levels are in a lower side than expected. This is called a chemical pregnancy which is quite common in the natural population, but since we have done a IVF and looking for a pregnancy very keenly, we have detected it by the blood test.

Well, I am not very happy with the HCG levels, but I think you need to be patient and continue all your medications and repeat your tests after 1 week or as desired by your doctor. In a normal pregnancy, beta HCG nearly doubles in bit less than 48 hrs.

If you ask me personally, I have got a case which had a low BETA hCG initially (but values bit higher than yours), but subsequently XXXXXXX to normal levels; although rare things can't always be quoted.
I can't deny the fact that things may not turn up good, but please have patience and hope for the best.

I think, i have clarified your query.

Please let me know your results.

Good luck