Have been taking protein supplements. Why is there no loss in waist size? Are they genetic? What can I do?

Question
Hi, I cant get rid of my love handles. I have been working out since 3 years. Have been taking protein supplements since 1.5 years. I gain lean muscle and dropped some body fat but still no loss in waist size and love handles. They seem genetic to me. Please recommend me a supplement which is good for me.
Posted Mon, 25 Jun 2012 in Weight & Lifestyle

Answered by Dr. Ramesh M.Vachharajani 48 minutes later
Thank for writing in.
I understand your concern.
First of all, you can get rid of love handles only by following a strict diet and exercise regimen. I would suggest the following:
a. Do brisk walking/skipping/swimming/jogging for 45 minutes daily.
b. Have a heavy breakfast and a light dinner.
c. Reduce the fat and carbohydrate in the diet. Avoid oil, sweets, ghee, butter and sugar
d. You would need to do abdominal crunches, leg raises and exercises to strengthen your core. Joining a gym would be a good idea.
This will give result gradually.
I hope I have answered your query.
If you have any further query, I will be happy to help.

Follow-up: Have been taking protein supplements. Why is there no loss in waist size? Are they genetic? What can I do? 14 minutes later

All above, I have been doing since three years. I take Hydro Builder after workout.

Answered by Dr. Ramesh M.Vachharajani 3 hours later
Hi and thanks again,

I am glad to know that you are doing plenty of good exercise. Your diet schedule is also fine.

In spite of doing this much, if you are not able to get rid of your problem, it suggest there might be a genetic factor. Genes plays an important role in determining the weight, size and shape of the individual. In addition, you need to talk to your doctor about endocrine problems such as hypothyroidism. Getting a simple blood test namely thyroid function test will help us rule out thyroid issues.

If no other associated cause is found, I encourage you to continue the exercise you are doing - continue at very regular basis, I have seen so many patients going to gym and doing exercise for some time and within 1-2 months they stop everything.

As far as supplements is concerned, there are no clear scientific evidence to prove these products work. Hence I wish not to misguide you about them. Effects of various products such as oxyelite pro, hydro builder, etc., are still not known; so are not approved by FDA for treatment.

Only other thing which will work if diet and exercise regimen fail is liposuction - a cosmetic procedure.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you have any other query.

Wish you good health.

Follow-up: Have been taking protein supplements. Why is there no loss in waist size? Are they genetic? What can I do? 13 hours later
How good is CLA as a supplement with exercise? I heard its a natural product.

Answered by Dr. Ramesh M.Vachharajani 19 hours later

Thanks for query,

CLA is conjugated linoleic acid. There are so many researches going on about this product. Research has shown positive results on animal studies, but yet to be replicated in human subjects. Currently many companies claim that it is very good weight management supplement, but it is mainly propaganda to promote their products. We are yet to know about its real benefits yet in human subjects.

You may take this supplement if you wish, but continue exercise and diet regime as you are properly doing right now. I am sure in the next few months, you should find some improvements.

If you do not find much improvement, it is better to consult your physician to rule out other causes as mentioned earlier.

Hope this suffices. Let me know if you need more help.

Wish you good health.

Best regards