Have been taking ofloxacin for a UTI. Have stomach cramps and diarrhea. Can I skip it for a day?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
I have been taking ofloxacin for a UTI it's giving me stomach cramps and diarrhea I have to take an all day airplane trip can I skip thr Ofloxacin for one day? I am taking probiotics.
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 2 hours later
Ofloxacin is an antibiotic and it's usually taken every 12 hourly.
If the antibiotic dose is missed once it can be continued from the next dose in the same way as per prescription.However missing more than one dose may not ensure complete treatment and can give rise to resistance among the bacteria causing uti.
So it's advisable to continue the antibiotic course fully even if your symptoms of uti are in control.
As for the sideeffects you can minimise the diarrhoea by taking combination of probiotics and anti diarrhoea agents. The cramps can be minimised by taking antispasmodics like dicyclomine.
Hence it's best you inform your treating physician if you wish to discontinue the treatment for a day so that apropriate alternative treatment can be started.
As of now I would advise you to continue your dose and take probiotics and antispasmodics for some symptomatic relief.
Hope this answers your query.