Have been taking myrbetriq and having stomach ache. Is this side effect?

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist
I have been taking myrbetriq for 5 days and awakened this AM with quite a stomach ache. Is this a usual side affect?
Posted Sun, 30 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 1 hour later

Thank you for your query.

Myrbetriq is usually taken for an overactive bladder. Abdominal distension, bloating, gastritis, constipation and diarrhea are all possible side-effects. However, these are very uncommon occurring in 1-2% of people taking this drug.

It is possible that you have been unfortunate and suffered one of these side-effects. They are not serious. However, if the stomach ache persists over the next few days I would recommend discussing this with your doctor. There are alternative medications that could be considered instead of myrbetriq.

I hope this has been of help to you. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Dr K A Pottinger