Have been taking biaxin for bacterial bronchitis. Am i still contagious?

I have been taking biaxin for five days now for bacterial bronchitis. I work in a school. Am I still contagious while continuing the medication? Is it safe to go back to class?
Posted Tue, 8 Oct 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Lohit K 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
If you dont have any symptoms then can work

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXX, Thanks for using XXXXXXX

1. Since you have taken Tab Biaxin twice daily for 5 days, if you don't have any features of infection / new infection then you can work in your school. The features like fever, productive cough, breathlessness, uneasiness and on examination (Auscultation) abnormal breath sounds.

2. If you have any of the above symptoms then you can be contagious even with continuing the treatment as we can't know whether Tab Biaxin has worked/working on the bacteria. To confirm the contagious nature you need to get done sputum culture of the specific bacteria. But it takes minimum 1-2 days.

So if you have any features of infection then better to avoid going to school.

Hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. Feel free to ask if any related query and I will be glad to answer them.

If you like my answers kindly rate it, and write a review as well.
I wish you faster recovery and good health.