Have been taking Venlafaxine and libido went totally down. Suggest?

Hi I have been taking Venlafaxine ER 150 mg capsule and my libido went totally down !! So I am looking for a solution I have not talked to my Doctor yet he is team up with my Wife !!! my name is XXXXXXX Rolandi
Posted Mon, 9 Sep 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Pankaj Malhan 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
May need to change the medicines.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for asking.

Venlafaxine is an antidepressant of the serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor (SNRI) class.

Significant Loss of libido is a very uncommon side effect, seen in less than 2% of the population.

Major side effects are nausea, dizziness, insomnia and constipation seen in more than 10% of the people using it.

If it is worrying you too much , the next course of action will be to look for alternatives.

Please let me know if you need further information.