Have been suffering with Gout attack. Taking Naprosyn. Suggest cure to keep uric levels under control?

Hi Dr. I have been suffering with a gout attach for over a week. Very painful. This is my third attack in 3 years. The first lasted 4 weeks because I did not know what it was. The second just a few days. Luckily, I have been on holidays but need to return to work tomorrow. I am talking Naprosyn which I had left over from the last attack. Should I visit the Dr again or stick with it and is it worth considering trying to control uric levels with medication.
Posted Wed, 7 Aug 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 22 minutes later
Hello and thank you for your question.

I think That since this is your third attack, you should discuss the possibility of maintenance medication to keep your uric acid level low.

Naprosyn may help you with this attack; but often we need to consider additional stronger medications such as prednisone or indomethacin to help you put this attack into complete remission.

I think it really makes sense for you to visit with your doctor and have a focused consultation and discussion about how to manage this. Ideally maintenance medication should minimize or possibly eliminate additional attacks. This will help to protect your kidney and the joints of your body.

Thanks again for sending your question. Please let me know if you have any additional specific concerns.

Dr. Galamaga