Have been spotting when suppose to get periods followed by heavy bleeding. Had B12 shots. Related?

I have been sptting for 5 days right when I supported get my period ! On Saturday I did have heavy bleeding for a 5 min !! I recently took a shot of b12 ... I only see it on toilet paper but its quiere heavy
Posted Tue, 8 Oct 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 13 hours later
Brief Answer:
Should exclude pregnancy if you are trying.

Detailed Answer:

I would like to know your menstrual history, if you are on any form of contraception or are trying to conceive, any history of infection or medication apart from the B 12 shot.

I would like to exclude/confirm pregnancy first if you are sexually active and do not use any contraception. Please get your serum beta-hCG levels assessed and get a trans-vaginal/pelvic sonogram.

If pregnancy is not the concern, you should exclude pelvic infections by a vaginal smear, sonogram, urinalysis, blood counts and a physical examination. This can lead to the menstrual disturbance observed. Infections treated aptly with the proper antibiotic often cure the condition.

If infection can be ruled out, hormonal imbalance must be thought about, and a complete hormonal profile conducted and treatment given by appropriate hormonal support.

Injection of Improper use of hormones can cause such irregularities as also certain medications.

Sudden disturbances in weight, stress of any form and general illness also can effect the menstrual pattern and should be looked into. Please maintain a healthy weight and a healthy diet along with regular exercise.

Hope your query is clarified. Please feel free to contact if you need further clarifications. I will be happy to help.