Have been soiling underwear with fecal matter and sometimes leaking to clothes. Suggest?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
I have been having problems of soiling my underwear with fecal matter. I don't know that I have released fecal material into my underwear until I smell something or happen to go to the bathroom and I've got dark smelly fecal material all over my underwear and sometimes it's leaked through my clothes. I'm sometimes afraid to go out of the house without wearing sanitary napkins.
I have no pain or any symptoms that might give me a warning that this might happen.

Posted Mon, 14 Oct 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Could be incontinence

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing in

Your information points to fecal incontinence

I feel it would be occurring more when you strain or cough

It may be aging process

Get your stool examined, If there is infection take antibiotics for ten days

If normal go for anal manometry, if it is severe may need surgery

In the mean time go for stool bulk forming agents and pelvic floor physiotherapy

Hope this helps
Do write back in case of concern
Follow-up: Have been soiling underwear with fecal matter and sometimes leaking to clothes. Suggest? 11 minutes later
I've been under a great deal of emotional stress the last several days, could that be a cause? Also, I had two strong alcoholic drinks night before last. I was very emotionally distraught over a divorce situation.
Could emotional stress and alcohol consumption cause this,
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
May Be....

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing in again

Yes to some extent stress and alcohol can precipitate,

Try managing your stress levels and avoid consumption of alcohol

If this does not work, go ahead with a clinical examination

Wishing you a healthy life ahead