Have been reported to have migraine. What can I do to reduce it?

Nov 2013

I have been reported to have migraine. what can I do to reduce it?
Posted Wed, 18 Sep 2013 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Both drug and non-drug treatments are required

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for posting your query.

Migraine is a condition, characterized by repeated episodes of headaches, associated with nausea, vomiting, photophobia (increased sensitivity to light) and phonophobia (increased sensitivity to sound).

If you have frequent migraine attacks, you need to be on preventive migraine medications. Use of these medicines reduce the severity and frequency of headache episodes.

Good medications for this purpose include topiramate, flunarizine, beta blockers and divalproex.

In addition, following measures also help to reduce migraine attacks:

1. Eating food on time and avoiding fasting,
2. Regular sleep of 7-8 hours at night,
3. Avoiding stress and tension,
4. Avoiding certain food stuffs such as too much of coffee, soft drinks, Chinese food, cakes, chocolates, etc.

I hope it helps.
Please get back if you require any additional information.

Best wishes,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad,