Have been prescribed Xanax for anxiety and depression What are the pros and cons?

I have a prescription for Xanax, and I am very concerned about side effects. I have been prescribed the Xanax for mild anxiety and depression What are the pros and con's of taking Xanax. What about difficult withdrawal symptoms? Will it impede my auto driving?
Posted Sat, 29 Jun 2013 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Payman Hajiazim 18 minutes later
Hi there, thanks for asking. Xanax is a medication which can treat mild anxiety. It also improves the mood as a possibly weak antidepressant. However, it is better to limit its usage after the age 65. It is metabolized by the liver, and liver capacity to do is decreased after the age of 65. It is not an absolute thing, but you can talk about it with your doctor. In the elderly, some medications which do not have sedative properties could also be prescribed. You can ask about the risk of fall from your doctor with use of a medication from the class of benzodiazepine.
People who use this medication more than 6-8 weeks, may find mental dependence to this medication. Another alternative could be a medication from Z class if your problem is mostly improved with sleep improvement.
I wish you a good health.
Follow-up: Have been prescribed Xanax for anxiety and depression What are the pros and cons? 19 minutes later
Would Xanax hinder my driving skills. I need to be able to drive to run errands, visit clients, doctors, etc. in this town of 26,000 people. I do a lot of local driving. I have been driving since I was 16 years old, and have done some traveling.
Many many years ago, I took Wellbutrin for a difficult time in my life during a divorce with 5 small children to raise. I have not taken antidepressant pills since.
I have never had a traffic ticket.
Answered by Dr. Payman Hajiazim 3 hours later
Hi there, thanks for asking. Xanax half life is 12-18 hours depending on the person taking. After the age 65, this half life is increased because liver can not change it as fast as the past. It is better to take it as just half a tablet and also in the early hours of the night if you want to start taking.
Let me know if you find any other point to ask. Best of luck with managing your mood.