Have been on ortho cyclen but missed and had unprotected intercourse. Having spotting. Implantation bleeding?

Mar 2013
I have been on ortho cyclen for 10 years but I missed the first 4 days of my new pack after the 7 day hormone-free interval, and had unprotected intercourse with my monogamous long-term partner. I have now had light spotting over the last 36 hours (14 days post intercourse) that is dark brown. It is just a few spots in my underwear and every now and then when I wipe. I am not expecting my MC for another week, could this be implantation bleeding?
Posted Mon, 1 Jul 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 51 minutes later
I think it is irregular bleeding / spotting that is common on birth control, especially if you were erratic with the use this month.
Having unprotected intercourse after missing 4 pills in a row also puts you at risk of pregnancy obviously, so implantation bleed cannot be ruled out.
Please take a pregnancy test if you miss your normal period.
Ensure you use backup like condoms this month.
All the best.