Have been on medication for hyperthyroid. Had test done for AMA, ATG, TSH, FT4. What does it indicate?

Hi I have bben on medication for hyperthyroid for 2-3 months (75mg).
I got a few other tests done the results of which are
Anti Microsomal Antibody (AMA): 242 (Negative <24, Positive >34)
Anti Thyroglobulin Antibody (ATG): 500 (Negative <225, Normal 225-325, Positive >325)
TSH: 0.12 (0.30-5.5)
FT4: 1.94 (0.70-1.80)
Would like to know what this means.
I just hope this is not too bad because the AMA and ATG results are way off!
Posted Sat, 25 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Prasad Akole 28 minutes later
Dear friend, welcome to Healthcaremagic!
I am Dr. Prasad Akole (Critical Care Expert- and am glad to address to your query here.

I assume your mention of hyperthyroidism is a typo as a TSH of 25 makes you to be Hypothyroid (low functioning thyroid gland)
Your positivity of AMA (antithyroid anti-microsomal antibody) and ATG (anti-thyroglobulin antibody) indicates that you have an autoimmune thyroiditis (self-attacking disease of the thyroid) causing hypofunction and hence high TSH initially.

I assume you are on thyroxine 75 microgram daily, causing the repeat TSH to look below normal. It indicates adequate thyroxine dosage.
High levels of AMA and ATG need not worry you as treatment is not affected by the levels and you need not re-check.

Your TSH may come to normal after few months of therapy. few patients need long replacement therapy.

I would advise a regular follow-up with your doctor or an endocrinologist and TSH and FT4 measurements to see the response.

I hope to have answered your query satisfactorily. I would be glad to answer any further queries. Take care and please keep me informed of your progress at
Good Luck!

As it helps us to improve continuously, may I request you to write a rating review before you ‘accept’ and ‘close’ the query.
Thank you!!