Have been on Paxil. Have swelling if not taken for long time. Is it withdrawal symptoms?

I have been on Paxil for sometime and now if I do not take it, I have swilling in the face and else ware.
could this reaction be a withdrawal symptom of Paxil.
Posted Thu, 11 Jul 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Omer 2 hours later

I am Dr.Omer and I am here to help you with your query.

As you have said that you took paroxetine ( paxil ) for low mood ? , and stopped it , now having all body swelling.

Whole body to swell up is known as Generalized edema or ANASARCA.

Paroxetine does causes withdrawal symptoms , but the withdrawal symptoms start from 3rd day of leaving the medicine till one month.

Withdrawal symptoms commonly occurring after paroxetine is , difficulty to sleep , no appetite , aggressive behavior , sweating , gastritis , recurrence of the disease and so on.

Paroxetine DOES NOT causes anasrca ( whole body swelling).

Anasarca at the age of 62 could be.

1. Heart/kidney problem

2. Hypothyroidism

I would recommend that you visit your GP , so that he could do the tests to rule out hypothyroidism / heart or kidney problem.

I hope this explains your query.

Feel free to ask any further questions for clarifications.

Follow-up: Have been on Paxil. Have swelling if not taken for long time. Is it withdrawal symptoms? 1 hour later

why does this swelling disrepair when i resume taking paxil
Answered by Dr. Omer 2 hours later
Hello again,

As you have said that your body swelling disappears when you resume paroxetine.

Syndrome of inappropriate ADH secretion(SIADH) , which means your body swells up due to less urine production and increased body water storage , and as a result dilutional sodium decrease.

SIADH , is a known side effect of paroxetine , as well as withdrawal symptom of paroxetine but with less frequency.

Either as a side effect or as a withdrawal symptom by SIADH will appear , in any one person

So if you think that paroxetine causes swelling , then this might be the cause , a simple test like total sodium in urine and serum will clear our doubts.

Paroxetine is a short acting SSRi (Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors) and has maximum withdrawal symptoms as compared to its sister drugs of same formula.

I would recommend to visit your doctor when you develop swelling , and appropriate test , will help us clear this problem.

I hope I was helpful to you.