Have been off birth control for over a year and a half but still haven't got period back. Suggest?

Question
hello,
Looking for an answer to an important question.
I've been off birth control for over a year and a half and I still haven't gotten my period back, and am not sure why? Also, am not to sure about some of my medical history regarding an abortion. I hope someone can answer my question and possibly I could find an appropriate doctor that helps with this in my area?
Posted Sun, 30 Jun 2013 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Usually after a birth control pill is stopped, it may take 3-4 months for the periods to resume normally. Since you are not having any periods for last one and a half year, it needs to be investigated.
The reasons of delayed periods may be hormonal imbalance, emotional upset, anxiety, stress, pregnancy or other medical conditions that affect the ovaries, uterus, hypothalamus, or pituitary gland. Hypothyroidism, post pill amennorhea , polycystic ovarian syndrome or less frequently a pituitary tumor causing high prolactin levels or a hypothalamic disease are other causes that may be the cause here.
Please visit your gynecologist to undergo physical check up and also to undergo relevant investigations required in your case to find out the cause so that treatment can be given accordingly.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.

Follow-up: Have been off birth control for over a year and a half but still haven't got period back. Suggest? 14 hours later
okay, thanks for the information. Am just not sure where I can find a gynecologist in my area?
well, does the abortion that I had need to be looked into, I wasn't told everything about it.
Follow-up: Have been off birth control for over a year and a half but still haven't got period back. Suggest? 39 minutes later

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 8 hours later
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
If you had an abortion prior to having the birth control pills then a detailed history will not be needed. You will have consult a gynecologist for proper investigations and diagnosis.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.