Have been losing hair, had strep in hip causing emergency surgery. Suggest?

For the past three months I have been losing my hair. I had strep in my hip causing emergency surgery this past May. Any suggestions.
I have had my thyroid checked and it is okay. Should I call my internist again regarding this issue.

Posted Thu, 3 Oct 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
It could be telogen effluvium

Detailed Answer:
The cause of your hair fall could be telogen effluvium.
It is a diffuse hair fall due to any precipitating factor like stress, surgery, nutritional deficiency, anemia, thyroid ds, pregnancy etc. In your case, it could be surgery. In this pattern of hair fall, most of the hair enter resting phase and start falling.
This type of hair fall is completely reversible and does not last beyond 6 months. So you need not worry as the fallen hair will grow back. To aid this process of hair growth, one may apply minoxidil solution two times in a day and take supplements XXXXXXX in protein, minerals and vitamins.
Hope this helped.