Have been having trouble with gastric problem. How to overcome this?

Excellent

Gastroenterologist
Question
I have been having trouble with gastric problem for the past 3 months and its quiet a disturbance in the work place. I work in the night swift and have only 2 meals a day in mid afternoon and night. Also, I take quiet a lot of sweets. Please advise if I should be worried about the problem.
Posted Fri, 23 Aug 2013 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 10 hours later
I am Dr.Ratnakar Kini and I am pleased to assist you.

What symptoms you actually have?
What tests have been done and what medications are taking?

Dr.Ratnakar Kini

Follow-up: Have been having trouble with gastric problem. How to overcome this? 2 days later
Dear Dr, I only symptom is that I can fell gas forming and move through and let out after sometime. Also, I have not taken any tests or medication till now.

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 39 hours later

From the information provided, it is not clear whether you have increased belching or increased flatulence.

If it is increased belching, you can try medications like omeprazole for about 4-8 weeks. Omeprazole is available over the counter in few countries; check with your pharmacist. In addition you also need to change your lifestyle. I understand working in night shift is a stressful experience and your routine is not similar to others. A good 6 hours sleep, avoiding coffee, citrus, alcohol, smoking, chocolates, carbonated beverages, eating smaller and multiple frequent meals would provide relief. Weight reduction if obese and going to bed at least 2-3 hours after food should also be done.

On the contrary If you meant increased flatulence, try to avoid milk and milk products, eat less of carbohydrates and take enzyme supplements like Galto and also medications like simethicone for relief. You may also consider stool analysis (test) to rule out infection. Add probiotic such as yoghurts in plenty.

Dr.Ratnakar Kini

Follow-up: Have been having trouble with gastric problem. How to overcome this? 9 hours later
Dear Dr,

Thanks a lot for the tips. I will make sure to follow the steps given.

One last question, is it ok if I take the medication mentioned. Wont it have any side effects?

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 1 hour later
The medications I have mentioned in my previous post are very safe.

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr.Ratnakar Kini