Have been having spotting and bleeding after sex. Suggestion?

Hi, I have been having some spotting the past two months and some bleeding after sex. I am a little concerned as usually this never happens.
Posted Wed, 28 Aug 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Hello ma'am and welcome.

I can understand your concern and shall try my level best to guide you through diagnosis and management of the condition you could possibly be suffering from. We shall start by listing the possibilities based on your presentation:
-Infections (chlamydia, gonorrhea, etc.)
-Abnormalities of the inner lining of the uterus (eg. endometriosis, adenomyosis, etc.)
-Abnormalities in the uterus (eg. polyps, fibroid, etc.)
-Cancer (rare)

Please do not be alarmed by the inclusion of cancer in the list of possible causes, it is a doctors duty to always rule out the worst. Here are the required investigations which will help in finding the exact cause:
-Urine examination
-Vaginal swab test
-Bimanual examination along with a speculum examination
-Pap smear
-Transvaginal ultrasound scan (TVS)

These investigations should suffice to find the cause. Taking into consideration your age and sexual status, an infection would be the most likely (commonly seen) cause, but it is always best to rule out the others as well.

I hope this information helped. Please do not worry, I am sure this is something simple and treatable. Do get the required investigations done; and feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications.