Have been having greenish colour in stool. Underlying cause?

Posted Wed, 7 Aug 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Akhilesh Dubey 36 minutes later
Thanks for using XXXXXXX
Stool color is generally influenced by what you eat as well as by the amount of bile a yellow-green fluid that digests fats in your stool.
Bile pigments travel through your gastrointestinal tract; they are chemically altered by enzymes changing the pigments from green to brown.

Diet Green leafy vegetables, green food coloring, such as in flavored drink mixes or ice pops, iron supplements. If there is diarrhea and intestinal movement is fast causes greenish colored stool. This is often called "rapid transit”.

Use of probiotics is useful like yogurt and even in the form of medication. We must be watchful if it is red or black then it may indicate blood in stool.

Hope this is helpful, please feel free to ask your follow up query, I will be happy to help.
Dr.Akhilesh Dubey M.D.
Follow-up: Have been having greenish colour in stool. Underlying cause? 8 minutes later
I have also had a mild pain on my right side just below my ribs for 3-4 weeks. Would this be related? It almost feels like a cramp. There is a history of diverticulitis in our family.
Answered by Dr. Akhilesh Dubey 16 minutes later

Thanks for your follow up,

It is possible that you have increased gut motility that is causing cramp like pain, if it is mild then it will pass but it it is troublesome then antispasmodic may be required.

It is not clear to me are you also suffering from diarrhea (Frequent loose motions)? Please keep yourself hydrated and take diet with fibers.

If this is persistent and painful, proper medical examination and tests like stool Routine analysis and colonoscopy may be required to know exact diagnosis including diverticulosis?

Hope I have addressed all your concerns; I will be available for clarification if any

Dr.Akhilesh Dubey M.D.