Have been experiencing dizziness. Had irritated inner ear with headache and dizzy spells. Related?

I have been experiencing dizziness for 2 days now It has happened before.Back in the late 90s I was told I had an irritated inner ear and had to cut out caffine and cut back on salt I have done that and still get these dizzy spells.Although when I first got that diagnosis I also got headachs along with the dizzy spell and the last several years have not had the headachs. would these dizzy spells be caused by something different.
Posted Thu, 20 Jun 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 33 minutes later
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Dizziness and vertigo ( this is a type of dizziness-the feeling as though moving or spinning) are common.

Because the inner ear is one aspect of the body involved in maintaining balance, it is actually the most common cause for this feeling.
There are different conditions that can affect the inner ear and cause these symptoms.
These conditions are : (1) meniere's disease (2) BPPV (3) vestibular neuronitis

Menieres -the vertigo lasts for minutes to hours at a time, there may be abnormal noises in the ears like ringing or buzzing, varying hearing loss

BPPV (benign paroxsymal positional vertigo)- the episodes start when the head is placed in certain positions and lasts for a few seconds at a time

Vestibular neuronitis- may follow a previous viral illness like the flu or cold. Nausea. Episodes of vertigo lasts for days at a time

In addition to inner ear conditions the other causes of vertigo would be migraines, problems related to the brainstem or cerebellum (parts of the brain involved in balance). These however, are not common,it is usually the inner ear.

Treatment would depend on the cause.In most cases medications such as antiemetics (medication to help with nausea), and vestibular suppressants are given (this is medication to suppress the inner ear).

In BPPV- there are maneuvers that are taught to help improve the inner ear, this is the main additional treatment in this case

In menieres- low salt diet, diuretic medication.

Vestibular neuronitis- the medication mentioned above is given for a short time.

To find out the cause of your present symptoms you would need to visit your doctor for an evaluation.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions