Have been diagnosed with cutaneous lupus. Suggest?

I have been diagnosed with cutanious lupus. im a 67 year old female..Is this just skin disease?
Posted Tue, 15 Oct 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes in some sense.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Madam,

Thank you for posting your query on XXXXXXX

Well looking into your problem I would like to tell you that Lupus is other name for SLE that is involves the skin only like photosensitivity , malar or butterfly rash etc then it is termed as cutaneous lupus .

It is a fair possibilty that with proper treatemnt it remains limited to skin but the autoimmune diseases often have a constant evoloving character so this possibilty cannot be ruled out that in later stages of life it may involve other organs also. So you are advised to carry your treatment under expert rheumatologist . Sun protection is specially advisable to you.

Dr. Shruti