Have been bleeding from anus and having pain in anus. What is the problem?

hello doctor, occasionally I have been bleeding from my anus when I go to the bathroom. Sometimes it is alot of blood and other times it is very little or none. More often than not it is very little blood or no blood at all. However, I do experience some pain in my anus for a couple of hours after I have gone to the bathroom. I have noticed that whenever i eat properly (fruits, vegetables and staying away from foods such as red meat) and drink that right amount of water then I am fine.
Posted Thu, 25 Oct 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 22 minutes later
Welcome to healthcare Magic!
You already understand much of the root causes for your problem.
I think you have got a local lesion in the anus/rectum, most likely it is an anal fissure or bleeding piles.
The leading factor for such bleeding is hard stools, so you should take frequent water and use liberal amount of fruits and salads.
You can take small amount of over the counter laxatives, just to produce soft stools.
You should also get assessed for anemia of chronic blood loss and if there is any correctable lesion at the bleeding site. So consult a surgeon of your locality.
Please get these investigations and if you like, inform me in a Fresh Query / Follow up Query for further fine tuned opinion
Wish you a great health!