Have bed bug bites. How to treat these bites?

Dermatologist
Question
I have what appear to be bed bug bites. How do I treat these bites and how can you reach the places in your back that your arm won't let you reach?
Posted Sun, 29 Sep 2013 in Skin Rash

Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Bedbug bites resolve spontaneously

Detailed Answer:
Bed bug bites resolve spontaneously. However if too itchy, one may take oral antihistamine like cetirizine and apply hydrocortisone cream twice in a day. If due to scratching, lesions have developed pus or if the lesions are oozing, topical antibiotic cream like mupirocin would help.

Also make it a point to get the bed bug infested room cleaned by taking help from local pest control company.

To reach difficult areas over back you may take help of your family members or use a sponge/ brush attached to long handle which is specially meant for difficult areas over back.

Hope that helped.

Follow-up: Have bed bug bites. How to treat these bites? 8 minutes later
Are these meds (cetirizine and mupirocin) safe for my condition and do I need a prescription?
I have already notified my landlord.

Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 32 hours later
Brief Answer:
Cetirizine and mupirocin are completely safe

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back.
I have gone through the images attached too.
I would advise you to take tablet cetirizine twice in a day and apply mupirocin cream mixed in hydrocortisone cream twice in a day over lesions. These medicines are completely safe and as far as I know require no prescription.
Hope that helped. Take care