Have become allergic to HCTZ. Prescribed chloralid in place of HCTZ. Will chloralid be safe?

I have recently become allergic to HCTZ. I have been prescribed chloralid to replace the HCTZ. I was taking avilide that really agreed with me. Lisinopril prescribed in the past. Caused low potassium. Will this drug have a great. Potential to drop my potassium? I have been taking avilide for years and for some unknown reason. I had like a histamine release that caused itching on my hands, feet and perineal area. In Dec. I took the shingles vaccine and after about 10day this occurred. Could this vaccine caused this reaction?
Posted Sat, 4 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 1 hour later
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

HCTZ (Hydrochlorothiazide) can cause allergy / can reduce the potassium

Lisinopril also can cause reaction, especially angio-neurotic oedema. / It is an Angiotensin Converting Enzyme Inhibitor (ACEI) / It may increase the potassium - does not drop...

What is chloralid? - probably Chlorthalidone?

Avalide is a combination of Angiotensin Receptor Blocker (ARB - Irbesartan) and HCTZ!

Vaccine is unlikely to have induced the change...

You can continue the ARB - safer than ACEI
Instead of HCTZ, you can switch over to a different class altogether - Calcium Channel Blocker (CCB - like amlodipine, Clinidipine, felodipine, and so on) - safer than diuretic.
There are combination formulas of these two for easy compliance

Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck