Have bartholins cyst. Bulge in posterior vaginal wall. Feel little itching. Has spread to labia lip. Worried?

Mar 2016

I have talked to a doctor on this subject before And should not have signed off. I hope you. An get the info from that but was told I probably have a bartholins cyst . I also sent a picture....she also said she sees a bulge in the posterior vaginal wall. It doesn't seem to hurt ,maybe itch alittle but not really . Today it seems like it is
Has spread along the labia lip a little more. No bleeding, discharge. Seems swollen to me. Just scared!
Posted Tue, 8 Oct 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. S Patra 34 hours later
Brief Answer:
Bartholin cyst. Need Surgical Incision & Drainage.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing to us on Healthcare Magic.

According to given information, I can assume that above swelling is mostly suggestive of bartholin cyst which is located on posterior half of labium majus and opens up the posterior end of labium minus. It is one sided at the opening of the vagina. It is caused by local inflammation or vaginal infection which leads to blocking of bartholin duct.

Here, I suggest you to consult with gynecologist for proper pelvic examination to make a concrete diagnosis.

TREATMENT: Small cyst usually does not require any course of treatment and it is better to leave alone. Genital hygiene maintenance is the key in such case.

However, large one needs small surgical incision & drainage of the collecting fluid which is called Marsupialisation. It is the procedure of choice and it can be done under local or general anesthesia. It is helpful to prevent abscess formation and future recurrence.

Supportive treatment like adequate rest, analgesics and daily sitz bath may be required to get relief from local discomfort. Oral antibiotic can be given. Kindly, visit to your doctor.

Hope, I have answered your query. If you need any clarification, you can freely ask me.

Wish your good health and take care yourself.

Dr Soumen

For future query, you can directly approach me through