Have bald head. Tried minoxidil. Should I go for hair transplant?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2013
Feb 2013

Pediatrician
Question
I have bald head. I tried with minoxidil 5% and 10%. There is no use at all. I would like to know the details about natural hair growth. It should not be hair fix like remove skin from back part of head and placing in front. I came to know there is a treatment like taking a hair from back head and planting in front. Can you please advice aboout this?
Posted Wed, 3 Apr 2013 in Hair Loss

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 2 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

Yes there is option of taking individual hair with its follicke from back of head and it is being tranplanted in bald areas- which is called 'Hair Transplantation'.

In this technique, the doctor will select an area where the hair follicles are genetically resistant to baldness- the donor site.

From the donor site, they remove the hair along with its follicle and they transplant into the areas of baldness called the- recipient area.

The hair transplant procedure is called ' Follicular Unit Transplantation (FUT)'.

This technique takes a long session or multiple sessions depending on the area has to be transplanted.

But it is a good option for those having bald head, but this technique is expenisive and takes longer time in comparision to the conventional methods.

But the advantages are :

1.There will be no scars,

2.Posoperative pain and discomfort is minimal or little, and

3.The hair looks like the natural hair.

Therefore I advise you this technique, if cost and the expenditure is not a problem for you.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.

Regards.

Follow-up: Have bald head. Tried minoxidil. Should I go for hair transplant? 1 hour later
Hello Dr. Venkata XXXXXXX

Could you please tell me the approximate cost for this?

And which one is the best place in Coimbatore/TamilNadu or in Bangalore.

XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 43 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX XXXXXXX

Thank you for getting back.

The cost depends on the bald area, required follicular units, and the number of sittings and may vary from one centre to the another.

The cost of each follicular unit will be around Rs.50/- to Rs. 150/- depending on the place and the centre.

I can't say the best place in your place, but I can advise you to XXXXXXX a good Dermatologist in your area so that he will refer you to an appropriate hair transplant centre.

First you take consultation at the centre, they will assess your needs and can tell you the exact cost, the required duration, and the number of sittings for your treatment.

Regards.