Have bakers cyst. Taking warfarin. Best exercises to reduce swelling around knee?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
what are the best exercises/stretches to reduce swelling around my knee? I have bakers cyst and i am NOT allowed to take anti inflammatories because i am already taking warfarin ?
Posted Tue, 5 Feb 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later

Best exercises to reduce swelling due to bakers cyst-

Knee Bend to Straighten
Bend and straighten your knee as far as possible without increasing your pain. This helps to restore your normal knee movement. Repeat 20 times.

Static Quadriceps Contraction
Tighten the muscle at the front of your thigh (quadriceps) by pushing your knee down into a towel . Put your fingers on your inner quadriceps to feel the muscle tighten during contraction. Hold for 5 seconds and repeat 10 times as hard as possible without increasing your symptoms.

With good physiotherapy Backer's cyst can heal well. So regular do these exercises.Soft tissue massage and heat/cold therapy also works.

Hope this information helps you. I will be available for further guidance if you needed.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Wishing you good health...
Dr Saurabh Gupta