Ask a Dentist   »  

Have bad breath even after brushing teeth. How do I overcome this?

Sometimes after brushing my teeth I still have bad breath. How do i over come this?
Posted Fri, 7 Sep 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Gunjan Gupta 49 minutes later

Thanks for writing in.

I would like you to know that bad breath is due to accumulation of odour producing bacteria on the bits of food left in your mouth. This occurs in direct relation to poor oral hygiene. Other reasons include:
a. deposits on the teeth (plaque and calculus).
b. decayed teeth (cause food retention in the decayed area).
c. Smoking.

If you maintain good oral hygiene and still you have bad breath it may be because of some medical problem like-
a. sinusitis
b. gum disease
c. Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), etc.

Also note that there are so many myths that if you brush again and again or if you use mouth wash regularly, you will not have bad breath. Regular brushing and mouthwash will only give you temporary relief. And for permanent cure of this problem it is important that we know which of the above is the cause. Hence I recommended clinical examination.

You should visit your dentist first and find out the cause whether it is dental related or medical related. We can plan a proper treatment accordingly once the cause is found.

In general I suggest you to please maintain a proper oral hygiene by-
1. Proper brushing
2. Mouthwash
3. Flossing
4. Avoiding smoking (if any)

It is also important that you have regular dental checkups every 6 months.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have further any query, I will be happy to help you.

Take Care.
Dr.Gunjan Gupta
Follow-up: Have bad breath even after brushing teeth. How do I overcome this? 25 hours later
I would like to inform that i do not suffer from any sinusitis or gastric problems. i get clean ups done every 6months but still there is bad breath inspite of using mouthwash and brushing regulaily. i feel there is some coating on my tongue.. can it be related??
thank you
Answered by Dr. Gunjan Gupta 23 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
You did not mentioned coating on your tongue earlier.If you will provide me some relevant information.i would be in a better position to guide you.
1.What type of coating is on your tongue?
2.Since how many days you have this coating?
3.Does it persist even after brushing?
4.Are you taking any medicine?
Awaiting for your reply.
Take Care
Dr.Gunjan Gupta
Follow-up: Have bad breath even after brushing teeth. How do I overcome this? 4 days later

Not taking any medicine, and I feel a slight coating on the tongue. Rarely brushed my tongue or used a tongue cleaner as scared that it might lead to mouth illness. Is that possible that using a tongue cleaner can cause mouth illness?

Many thanks!