Have bad bones and crooked spine. Family history of Alzheimer. Will I also suffer form the same?

Mother ( late stage) and both Grandmother (around 63 years) has/has Alzhemersr. Will I get it as well from decedents? I am 63 with bad bones, crooked spine, previous surgery on back, complete hist at 29. So far I can think and study. I am unpaid caregiver for 81 year Mother. Please help my peace of mind. Thank you.
Posted Mon, 29 Jul 2013 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 47 minutes later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

It is understandable to be worried and scared.
Dementia is the loss of the ability to remember, speak or understand when spoken to, pay attention, solve problems.
Alzheimer's is only one cause of dementia but it is the most common cause that is seen.

In most cases of alzheimer's , it is not inherited from family but it can occur. This means that in some persons a family history may mean that there is an increased risk of having the disease.

There are some risk factors that increase the chance of someone developing alzheimers:(1) older age- more likely as people get older, less likely in young persons
(2) obesity
(3)family history
(4) insulin resistance- this means increase blood sugars
(5)high cholesterol and high blood pressure
(6)head trauma that damaged the brain

There is also medication that can be used in the early stages that slows down the progression of the disease.
Examples of these medications are aricept, exelon, razadyne.
It is also thought that mental activities such as crosswords and brainteasers may prevent or slow down the progression of the disease.

So, there is an increase chance of the disease because of your family history but mental activities would help. If you notice any early changes then there is medication that can be used early to slow down the disease

Hope this eases your mind, feel free to ask any additional questions