Have back sprain. Getting constipated, severe pain in cecum area. Colonoscopy to be done. Worrisome

I have a diagnostic colonoscopy scheduled for this week. However, I am wondering if I need to be seriously concerned. I have pain in the ileum/cecum area which began approximately one month ago following a severe back sprain. Constipation for several weeks duration and loss of weight, caused by intense stress, due to family emergency situation, was resolved with fleet's enemas, stool softeners, and a bottle of magnesium citrate. The pain is intermittent in the lower abdomen area and now gone in the back. It appears to be more noticeable when I am in a sitting up position. It is a throbbing type of pain when present.
Posted Sat, 20 Apr 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Enrique Molina 1 hour later
You should not be concerned about the colonoscopy next week, which although it is an invasive procedure, it has low risk of complications (serious complications less than 1%), however you should know which they are. Serious complications of the procedure including bleeding (particularly after a polypectomy), cardiac or respiratory problems due to the anesthesia, and perforation of the colon (which could require surgical repair). These are rare but can happen. The good thing about a colonoscopy is that the doctor can directly look at the whole colon, including the terminal ileum, which is in the area you may be having problems. If there is a large polyp causing problems it can be removed immediately, and if there is inflammation or an ulcer, biopsies can be taken to rule out a cancer. The fact that you have been losing weight, you are constipated, and you have right lower abdominal pain is concerning for a problem in that ileum/cecum area. If you desire to have a non-invasive test, talk to your doctor, since other diagnostic tools are available such as a CT scan of the abdomen with contrast. You can also check with your doctor if they have available at your local hospital a "Virtual CT colonoscopy", which although it is not the panacea, it is a non-invasive procedure (you still have to take the laxative preparation the day before the test).
Hope that helps, let me know if you have any other concerns.
Follow-up: Have back sprain. Getting constipated, severe pain in cecum area. Colonoscopy to be done. Worrisome 20 hours later
The constipation seems to be resolving. The weight loss is no longer occurring. The ab pain is also occurring less often, though is still somewhat present to a lesser degree. I must admit that the terminal ileum pain seemed to start around the same time that I sprained my back and seemed to radiate from the back initially. The back pain is somewhat resolved now and perhaps the two were related and the terminal ileum pain will resolve also. At any rate, I shall somehow muddle through the prep for the colonoscopy and deal with the findings. Thank you so much for your very valuable opinion.
Yes perhaps everything related to your back sprain and hopefully your colonoscopy will be normal, but better be safe than sorry!
Good luck with your preparation!