Have back problems causing terrible pain in foot. Taking nortryptiline. Help?

I have numerous back problems it causes terrible pain in my right leg down to my foot. just started on 50 mg, of nortryptiline and I am wondering how long it takes to feel relief.
Posted Tue, 24 Sep 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It takes 3 to 10 days

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Nortriptyline is in the family of drugs called tricyclic antidepressants. They are thought to cause pain relief by possibly blocking the passage of the sensation of pain along the nerves.

It normally takes 3 to 10 days for pain relief to occur. This onset of action is slightly faster than when used for other causes such as depression where it takes 2 to 3 weeks for an effect to be felt.

During this time period, if the pain is severe, your doctor may consider adding another medication till this starts to have an effect.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any additional questions