Have back pain radiates from legs to foot. Used codamol. Having cramps. Suggest?

hi I have had back pain for many years but recently the pain is severe most days which radiates down both legs and into my feet(mostly left leg) the pain has been more severe over the last two weeks andb refuses to budge. The pain cannot be dulled with pain killers I use to use co codamol but stopped using this as it did not work. The pain in my lower back is felt in my anus area also there are days when I simply cannot walk the lenght of myself. My leg muscles on my left leg cramp up most nights waking me from my sleep. Please can you help I have been for an MRI scan approx 4 weeks ago but have not heard from the pain clinic as yet. Many thanks. XXXXX
Posted Sat, 3 Aug 2013 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 1 hour later
Hi !

Thank you for your query.

Dear sir,

Well looking into your problem , I see that you are suffering from back pain that is now radiating to leg that sounds some kind of nerve compression . There is some kind of disc bulge that is causing nerve compression that is leading to radiating pain in the leg .

I need to know the MRI Scan reports which is the best way of clinching the diagnosis . I advise you to consult a neurosurgeon and get yourself evaluated . If there is any kind of compression then it needs to be surgically corrected .

Hope you are satisfied with the answer.

Wish you good health.

Dr. Shruti
Follow-up: Have back pain radiates from legs to foot. Used codamol. Having cramps. Suggest? 6 hours later
If this is left for much longer without surgery can it be dangerous? I have read that severe back pain(lower) can be a medical emergency effecting the bowels.
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 23 hours later
Dear sir,

Thanks for getting back .

Yes sometimes it can lead to sensory and motor deficits but that depends on the stage of disc displacement causing the nerve compression frequently following trauma . So it is advisable to address this issue at earliest .

Dr. Shruti