Have back pain near spine

Question
I am facing severe back pain near the spine for the last 3 days.
Posted Wed, 19 Sep 2012 in Back Pain

Answered by Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan 55 minutes later
Hi there,

Thanks for writing in.

I would like some additional information before answering your query:

1. Is this your first episode of severe back pain?

2. Where exactly is the back pain, right/left/centre? Any radiation of the back pain
to the thighs, legs ?

3. What is the nature of the pain: burning/stabbing/ shooting type of pain?

4. Is the back pain relieved/aggravated by rest , movement ,bending forward, walking up the slope?

5. How are your bladder habits? Any difficulty in urination, burning urination, increased frequency of urination? Any history of prostate enlargement?

6. Any history of fever along with this episode of back pain?

7. Any history of trauma/ fall?

Kindly get back to me with the above details.

Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan

Follow-up: Have back pain near spine 1 hour later

Ans: Never had such severe pain before.

to the thighs, legs ?

Ans: Center and right

Ans: Yeah its a kind of both stabbing and shooting pain but its pretty severe

Earlier it was . But now even during sitting posture its paining. It pains more while bending and moving up.

No

No

7. Any history of trauma/ fall?

Had a brain cyst in 2005 which was cured by Medicine

Answered by Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan 9 hours later
Thanks for writing back.

The differential diagnosis in a case of backache are many; muscle strain,posture related like osteoarthritis , lumbar spondylosis(disc degeneration), intervertebral disc prolapse and so on.

However in view of your advancing age, it is mandatory that you visit an orthopedician and get this evaluated. Certain tests including urine routine, Renal function test, PSA (prostate specific antigen), X XXXXXXX Spine AP and lateral, MRI( if the doctor feels it necessary after all the other tests) ,needs to be done. I don't mean to alarm you, but backache in a person over 50 needs to be evaluated to rule out malignancies etc.

However, in the mean time for acute pain relief, Apply a small amount of volini gel/ diclofenac gel on the affected area of the back. After 15 minutes or so ,apply hot fomentation on the affected area i.e dip a cotton cloth in warm water , wring it, and apply it intermittently on the back( if you have someone to do it for you). Otherwise you can keep a hot water bag covered with a piece of cloth on your back for 15 minutes.

If you are not allergic to any medication in particular, you can take one tablet of Myospaz forte , once in the morning and once at night after food.

Also take 1 tablet of pantoprazole 40 mg once daily before breakfast.

Try these measures for 2 days. If still no relief, definitely visit an orthopedician.

T. MYOSPAZ FORTE 1-0-1 after food for 2 days
T. PANTOP 40mg 1 tablet half an hour before breakfast for 2 days

I hope this information will be of some help to you .

I hope I have answered your queries .I will be happy to answer any further queries you might have.

In case you don't have any further queries, please accept my answer. Any reviews are welcome.

Get well soon

Dr.Divya Kuttikrishnan

Follow-up: Have back pain near spine 12 hours later
Dear Dr,

I have already taken the following medication but still its not improving :

1. 2 dosage of Doloni injection since yesterday , have been advised for 6 dosage in three days
2. Tablet Tizan -2, 2 dosage till now and 6 dosage for three days

I have still not found improvement in the pain. Please advise me the next steps.

Thanks,

Answered by Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan 4 hours later
Thanks for writing back.

You are already receiving the appropriate treatment, with pain killers and muscle relaxant. In addition to this, try to do the following:

Apply a small amount of volini gel/ diclofenac gel on the affected area of the back. After 15 minutes or so ,apply hot fomentation on the affected area i.e dip a cotton cloth in warm water , wring it, and apply it intermittently on the back( if you have someone to do it for you). Otherwise you can keep a hot water bag covered with a piece of cloth on your back for 15 minutes.

Try these measures for 2 more days and if no improvement whatsoever, please visit an Orthopaedician for blood tests, X- Rays/ MRI of spine etc i.e for further evaluation and treatment.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan