Have back pain, cyst between the buttock with smelly liquid discharge. How to get rid of this?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2014
Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Question
I have a painful slit between the top of my buttcheeks (sorry about the slang) where there is a large collection of hair. it feels like an open wound and has been excreting a small amont of clear/bloody looking liquid that smells almost like feces but it isnt fecesl. I also have been having lower back pain above where the cyst is. I cant sit or lie comfortably
Posted Mon, 18 Feb 2013 in Back Pain

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 55 minutes later
Thanks for sharing your concern with us

From description you provided it seems you might having pinonidal sinus.A pilonidal sinus is a sinus tract which commonly contains hairs. It occurs under the skin between the buttocks (the natal cleft) a short distance above the anus. The sinus track goes in a vertical direction between the buttocks.

Comming out of foul smelling liquid from it, indicate that it might got infected.You need medical treatment, so I suggest you to consult your doctor for a detailed examination.you may be given some antibiotics.you may need to have an emergency operation to incise (puncture) and drain the abscess.Painkillers (such as paracetamol and/or ibuprofen) may be very helpful to improve the pain.

Hope this will help you.Let me know if you have more concerns.

Wishing you seedy recovery...

Regards.
Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.

Follow-up: Have back pain, cyst between the buttock with smelly liquid discharge. How to get rid of this? 5 minutes later
Is the pain above my butt in the lower back region likely due to the infection?

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 9 minutes later
Thanks for posting your query again

Lower back pain above your butt is likely due to pinonidal disease and its infection.

I hope that clears your doubts.
Let me know if you need further assistance

Regards.
Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.