Have back pain and shoulder ache. Due to stress? Suggestions?

Jul 2013

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I have back pain that last for 2 weeks. I also have left shoulder ache for 2,3 days i think due to lifting heavy bag, and calves ache due to walking for a long distance. Both happen and subside around last week. That remains the back pain with no apparent reason (I suspect due to strain, but usually it doesnt last long).. So your opinion doctor?
Posted Fri, 30 Aug 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 34 minutes later
Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

As per your description, I assume that you are concerned about your back pain.

The most commonest cause of low back pain in young adults is a SOFT TISSUE STRAIN (possibly muscle related) followed by a Lumbar disc herniation. In either case, the initial management is always conservative.

The following measures are to be considered in treating low back pain -
* Try to avoid activities like bending, lifting etc which puts additional strain on the inflammed muscles
* When sitting for prolonged periods of time, a lumbar support is necessary to provide support to the muscles
* Use moist heat or Ice pack application to relieve the pain
* When trying to lift any weight from the floor, do it with your knees bent and your hips flexed
* Maintain an optimum body weight, if you are obese, as this will impart more strain on the lower back
* Physiotherapy for strengthening the para vertebral muscles
* Use analgesics & muscle relaxants as needed

I hope these recommendations will work in alleviating your back pain.

Happy to help if you need any more clarification.

Follow-up: Have back pain and shoulder ache. Due to stress? Suggestions? 13 minutes later
I'm not sure if the pain is a low back pain, its more of a middle back pain, midway of my vertebrae column. I can't sit for a long period of time, as it will start to have some sort of dull aching pain. Is it strain? What is the possibility I'm having disc herniation?
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 1 hour later
Hi, Nice to hear from you.

Whether it is Low back pain or Dorsalgia (pain in the dorsal spine), the management is the same.

The only way to diagnose a disc herniation is by undergoing MRI scan of the affected spine.

A detailed clinical examination is necessary to arrive at a possible diagnosis regarding the cause of your back pain.

If you are worried and concerned, approach an orthopedic surgeon for a detailed workup and further management.

Hope I have addressed your issues. Good day