Have back pain and pain in the middle part of the thigh. Taking hydrochodine. Having chills, sweating and nausea. Cure?

Jul 2013

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I have had back pain on my right side (right at my waistline) for about 5-6 days. It has slowly gotten worse each day. Also it hurts right in the middle to top part of my right thigh in the front of my leg. That pain is much worse if I'm sitting and try and bend my right leg and pulpit toward me. I can't lie down to get out of pain. The only thing that has brought relief is hydro chodine. I don't have any fever. Also this week, I have been getting really hot, and would break out into a sweat. I have had other times when I have been having chills. Some nausea too.

When I lie flat, then pain is in the top of my right thigh, in the middle.
Posted Sat, 3 Aug 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 2 hours later
Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

Though celiac disease primarily affects Gastrointestinal system, some times it presents with vague symptoms related to the Musculoskeletal system like Joint pains, weakend bones and Muscle cramps. Infact, celiac disease can affect every other system in the body. So whether or not celiac disease is related to your presenting symptoms has to be clarified by your treating doctor.

I suspect one of the below mentioned conditions that might be causing symptoms in you
(1) HIP JOINT ARTHRITIS - Typically this condition produces pain during any movement involving the hip joint. The pain can be felt in the gluteal region (buttock), in the front part of the groin and front of thigh and even at times in the inner side of knee joint also. Your age also favours this diagnosis.

(2) LUMBAR DISC DISEASE - Generally degenerative changes occur in the lumbar spine along with osteoporosis in post menopausal age groups. These degenerative intervertebral discs might be causing pressure over the nerve roots causing pain which can be felt in the hip joint, thigh and knee. Typically forward bending movements will aggravate the pain.

So, I suggest you to have an Xray of your Hip joint to look for the arthritic changes and an MRI scan of Lumbar spine to rule out the disc disease.

Hope I have addressed you issues. Happy to help for any further clarifications.

Follow-up: Have back pain and pain in the middle part of the thigh. Taking hydrochodine. Having chills, sweating and nausea. Cure? 23 hours later
The pain presents itself if the front part of my right thigh no matter what I am doing. Especially hurts lying down and sitting. Now I am nauseated and have a bad headache. Yesterday I threw up.
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 14 minutes later
Hi, The pain presenting in the front upper part of the thigh goes infavour of some pathology originating in the hip joint.

So, I suggest you to consult an orthopedic surgeon and get evaluated for the same.

Wishing you a quick recovery. Good day