Have back pain and found lump on lower back. What should I do to get relief?

I found a lump on my lower right back last night. I have been having back pain on my left side as well with numbness and crackling. This lump rolls but is stationary. Its about an 2 finger wides in size and is an oval shape. Any ideas?
Posted Wed, 6 Feb 2013 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

There are a number of different causes for lumps in the skin. The most common causes are papillomas, keratoacanthoma, hystiocytomas, lipomas, sebaceous cysts, neurofibroma.
A papilloma is a over growth of the layer of the skin, it is also known as a skin tag.
A keratoacanthoma is a self limiting over growth of hair follicles, there are commonly found on the face but can occur anywhere.
A hystiocytoma is also benign, it is overgrowth of cells in the skin called fibroblasts.
Lipomas are clusters are fat cells that are felt like lumps.
Sebaceous cysts are formed when the sebaceous glands in the skin become blocked.
Neurofibroma are also benign tumors that are a mixture of different elements of the skin.

Out of the above the lipoma and neurofibroma are more likely but to diagnose a lump a doctor would normally take a history and examine for - the position of the lump, colour, temperature (increased may imply infection), tenderness, shape, size, the edges, consistency of the lump (hard, firm or soft), the presence of fluctuance, surrounding skin.

The treatment of most lumps is to remove them if they are causing significant discomfort.

The pain on the left side of the back may be due to issues related to the vertebra or the muscles in the back.
If it relates to the muscle it would usually be at the sides and worse on movement.
If it relates to the back it is usually central, can be worse on movement and associated with altered feeling in the lower limbs.In some cases if the vertebra are affected a person may also experience weakness, problems passing stool or urine (if problems with spine compressing any nerves)

Hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions