Have back and leg problem due to fracture. Was on opiod medicine and stopped. Had weight loss. Related?

Jul 2013

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Yes, hello. I am a 58 year old woman with severe back and leg problems due to a back fracture years ago and several back surgeries. I have been on opioid pain meds for over 26 years. Recently, I cut my meds down drastically because I had to care for my husband who had cancer. I actually stopped my medication for several months, but I have started very small doses again, which seem to work much better than they had for awhile. About 10 years ago, I put on 60lbs and have been able to take it all off in the last few months. After trying to diet and exercise for a few years it finally came off. Do you think coming off the meds and losing the weight have anything to do with each other? Thanks, XXXXXXX
Posted Tue, 8 Oct 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No definitive relationship.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

There is no definitive relationship between waning off pain medications (opioid analgesics) and weight loss.

A few measures which can be of help in improving your back pain are

* Physical and therapeutic exercises
* Massage therapy
* Ultrasound therapy and TENS (transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation)
* Epidural steroid injections & Facet blocks
* Spinal manipulation with chiropractics
* Radio frequency ablation

Hope I have addressed your query. Happy to help further