Have babesia. Done with dark field microscope video of peripheral blood. PCR is negative. Suggestion?

I have dark field microscope video of my peripheral blood on a CD that the technician says shows "clearly" I have babesia. She is not allowed to write that. The doctor won't write it. I can't get treated because no one will look at the film and do the identification. My CD-57 is 8, so my antibody generation not so reliable. PCR is negative, which given the state of the science is not saying much. Who can review film and identify? It is time-stamped for ease and speed of viewing.
Posted Mon, 5 Aug 2013 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 13 hours later
Hello and thanks for the query.

First of all, I would not rely on a technician interpretation of a blood film. It is absolutely inappropiate for an individual who is not trained and credentialed in blood film interpretation to speculate on findings.

If you are concerned, I would recommend that you have your physician send the blood film or video to a trained hematopathologist. Hematopathologists are experts in interpreting blood film and have a minimum of 5 years of microscope training prior to practicing independently or within a group.

Again, this is something that requires an expert opinion with a physical interaction with your blood film or slide. Right now we do not have software that has high enough defiinition to allow for a physician to remotely provide a diagnosis. Any regional referral center or university will have trained hematopathologists on staff who may assist you.

Thanks again for the query.

Please let me know if I can be of any additional assistance.

Dr. Galamaga