Have autoimmune disease, Sjogrens' Syndrome. History of chicken pox. Shot recommended?

I'm a 74-year- old female in good health with the exception of an autoimmune disease, Sjogrens' Syndrome.. In addition to a history of chickenpox, what other factors indicate that a preventative shot is recommended? And, what are the risks associated with the injection?
Posted Sat, 14 Sep 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Inactivated vaccines only recommended in Sjogrens

Detailed Answer:

If I am right that you are looking to get a chicken pox vaccine?

I recommend only dead and inactivated preventive shots for any patient with immunocompromised state like that of Sjogrens. Since the chicken pox vaccine is a live virus I do not recommend this vaccine. If you are worried about shingles in the adult hood then it is better to tackle it with Acyclovir type of drugs than prevention.

I am not sure if there is an inactivated virus vaccine available in your region. Just find out with your doctor. If available you can go for it. Soreness, swelling and fever are reported.

Let me know if my views are not clear.

Follow-up: Have autoimmune disease, Sjogrens' Syndrome. History of chicken pox. Shot recommended? 6 hours later
Does an Inactivated vaccine exist?
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I have not come across

Detailed Answer:
Inactivated vaccine exist for other infections but not for chickenpox virus, at least I do not know.