Have asymptomatic adeno/BAC. Done radiation treatment. Coughing bloody mucus, sinus inflammation. Concerned about pancreatic involvement

dx'd with adeno/BAC in 2005. Asymptomatic. Novalis on LLL 2005. In remission one year until 2006 with tiny lesions in both lungs. Novalis 2007 middle RL on 5 small lesions. All radiation treatments were successful in treating the lesions. Dec. 2011 Cyberknife ULL, URL. March 5 2012 excellent CTscan. March 13 started symptoms of radiation pneumonitis. Symtomatic 5 weeks before treatment started. Have been teated with prednisone, antibiotic, and nebulizer since Apr.23. Back to normal, recently coughed up bloody mucus in Am, normal and clear rest of the day. Also have chronic inflammation in sinuses, but no sinusitis. CTscan July 23 lungs look much better, chronic organizing pneumonitis, however the pancreas and spleen appear atrophic. Scans for past seven years have always said "all other organs appear unremarkable" until now. Still asymptomatic, lots of energy, no weight loss, but concerned about the sudden pancreatic involvement just since March 5th scan
Posted Sat, 11 Aug 2012 in Lung Cancer
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 2 hours later

I see that presently there are no complaints about the Lung Ca. Also that is is well on treatment course.

The pancreas involvement as you mentioned is Atrophy, which is not a sign of acute/ sudden involvement.The atrophy usually occurs due to long term inflammation of death of the cells due to radiation.

The atrophy as presented will usually not be associated with symptoms but the endocrine function if deteriorating may present with problems after a long time.Hence, the health of the Pancreas has to be ascertained by getting Pancreatic function tests which involves estimation if the hormones and enzymes liberated by the gland.

Since I see both the spleen and Pancreas both atrophied I suspect there to be no serious problem affecting the Pancreas.It could be a general cause like the radiation which has caused this.

Do get the test mentioned above , this will give detailed insight into the problem and help in formulating the management.

Hope I answered your query.

Wish you good health.