Have asthma problem by birth. Test showed hyperinflated lungs. Underlying cause?

hi my name is XXXXXXX i am 47 yrs old.i was born with asmatha, had my last attack when i was i thought on feb 11 .i had what appeared to be my first asmatha attack in 40 years. after extensive testing they said my heart was very good. now a month later after more testing .they said i have hyperinflated lungs. and what appears to be sacks of fluid on top of my ribcage, just below the skin.i am due to see a lung doctor this week. what causes this??
Posted Mon, 1 Apr 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 46 minutes later
Hello and welcome to XXXXXXX

Thank you for writing to us.

Hyperinflated lungs could be caused by any form of obstruction in the pathways/passages that deliver air to the lung tissue. This results in trapping of air within the lung, which causes a hyper (excessive or more) inflated lung.

Some causes of a hyperinflated lungs are:
-Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)
-Cystic fibrosis
-Reduced elasticity of the lungs

As a result of this trapped air, an emphysema (one or more), could be formed. An emphysema is a sac of air that is trapped under the skin. This sac can sometimes also contain fluid, which has collected/reached the sac from the surrounding tissues.

I hope you have found my response helpful and informative. Do write back to me for any further clarifications. I would be happy to help.

Best wishes.