Have asthma, got fever, prescribed Monocef and Azithral for lower lung infection. Correct medication?

Question
SIR I AM A ASMATIC PATIENT AND TAKING SEROFLO250 AND MONTELUKAST REGULARLY FOR LAST THREE YEARS.
AFTER TEDIOUS JOURNEY FOR THREE DAY I GOT FEVER AND DOCTOR HAS ADVISE ME TO TAKE MONOCEF 2GM AND AZITHRAL 500MG TWICE A DAILY FOR SEVEN DAYS . HE ADVISE THE MEDICINE FOR INFECTION IN LEFT LOWER LUNGS. PLEASE ADVISE ME IS IT CORRECT TO CONTINUE THE MEDICINE AND SIDE EFFECT
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Lung and Chest disorders

Answered by Dr. Mitaly 31 minutes later

Thanks for posting you query.

Monocef is an antibiotic and is usually prescribed for infections of nose,chest,throat,bladder etc.

Usually it is safe drug and mild side effects may or may not be present as nausea,abdominal pain,loose motions etc.

If you notice any chest pain,rashes,breathing issue then consider reporting it to your treating doctor immediately.

Azithral again is an antibiotic and is given for bacterial infections.It also has quite similar side effects and related to gastrointestinal tract as abdominal pain,vomitting etc.

You can take both the drugs under your treating Doctor's supervision as recommended and if you notice any symptom as rashes,hives,allergic reaction then consider visiting getting yourself evaluated.

Hope this answers your query.I will be available for follow up query if any.

Follow-up: Have asthma, got fever, prescribed Monocef and Azithral for lower lung infection. Correct medication? 42 minutes later
why 2 powerful antibiotics for mild infection

Answered by Dr. Mitaly 8 minutes later

Thanks for the follow up

Antibiotic combination is usually given to cover large range of bacteria and gives good results in short span of time.

Since he has examined you clinically he would have decided after a proper evaluation to prescribe you the same.
Even if the infection is present in the lower lung which is mild, chances are there that you already being an asthmatic patient have more chances of catching severe infection and also symptoms being aggravated so these have been advised.

These are antibiotics of two different classes and cover different group of bacteria.

Hope this answers your query.
Wishing you Good health!

Follow-up: Have asthma, got fever, prescribed Monocef and Azithral for lower lung infection. Correct medication? 23 minutes later
i had only fever for two days for that monocef 2gm and azithral 500mg twice a day i.e. total 5gm a day antibiotic. is it not a overdose

Answered by Dr. Mitaly 3 minutes later

Thanks for writing.

As I have already advised you and again I would repeat that if the infection is present in the lungs which you have explained that was detected by your treating Doctor then there is no harm in taking them.

Depending on the infection they are not overdose.

Hope it helps!