Have asthma and tightness in chest. Breathing difficulty after bleaching hair. Any solution?

Hello, I had bleached my hair on Tuesday at home which I have done in the past, however, this time right when I was about to wash the bleach from my hair I couldn't breathe. I have asthma and it was very close to an asthma attack but I was able to get it under control. The next day I had tightness in my chest and gradually developed a sore throat. Today I sti have the tightness in my chest which usually hurts when I inhale and when I am lying down it tends to hurt in my lungs. I also have a bit of a pain in my right ear developing right now. Are you able to provide me with any advice?? Thanks so much.:-)
Posted Mon, 18 Mar 2013 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 1 hour later

This looks like you have developed kind of airway sensitivity or allergy.Asthma patients are prone for such episodes when exposed to strong chemical.Most hair bleaches have ammonia.

Few things which can help you relieve symptoms are steam inhalation, antihistaminics, bronchodilator and short course of antibiotics to prevent any infection.

Ear pain is likely due to blocked Eustachian tube which connects ear with throat and can get blocked in case of throat inflammation.Blowing air with nose and mouth can help to open up the tube.Antihistaminics will help in this.

Hope this helps.Regards.