Have asthma and taking medicine. Having joints pain, advised bone density test. Using Foracort inhaler and Unicontin. Suggest?

I am an asthma patient and taking medications from last 5-6 years. Of late i'm feeling pain in my joints and a friend advised to get the bone density test done because the steroids in the asthma drug may lead to osteoporosis. Not sure if this is true. I've regularly using Foracort 400 inhaler and Unicontin E400. Also, i'd like to mention that i smoke 4-5 cigarettes a day and drink maybe twice in a week though I exercise regularly.
Posted Tue, 1 Oct 2013 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Go ahead with the bone density test

Detailed Answer:

Yes, your friend is right. Steroids used in asthma can lead to Osteoporosis in the long run.

Please go ahead with the bone density test.

Cigarette smoking also increases the risk for osteoporosis-induced fracture.

Hope this information clarifies your doubt.