Have asthma and allergy, taking various medicine. Have chest heaviness, on inhaler. Do smoke. Related?

Allergist and Immunologist
Hi, I am an asthma patient and this allergy started about 12 years ago. Initially it was very mild and increased over years and i've been taking various medications. Of late, my condition has gone from bad to worse. I kind of always feel heaviness in the chest and have to depend on the inhaler almost twice/thrice daily. Just to mention I do smoke 3-4 cigarettes a day but now even a single cig triggers breathlessness. (Though i exercise/swim 3-4 times a week). My condition has worsen after relocating to Bangalore from North India. Please suggest if I should change medication or try something else.
Posted Wed, 9 Oct 2013 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Sujoy Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Need to stop smoking and get lung function test

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to Healthcare Magic.

Of course, you are well aware that smoking and asthma does not mix.
But other factors other such as house dust mite allergy or cockroach allergies will make it worse.

Also we need to know at this stage if the diffusion capacity of the lung is good, for which you will need a full lung function test with DLCO.

If there are any pets like pigeons, or birds at home, mold or aspergillus sensitivities need to be excluded.
The DLCO test will help with that as well.

Total IgE with specific IgE against asthma panel will help (blood test).

You are currently on agood combination of inhalers and tablets and the results of these tests will help in knowing whether they need to be canged.

Best Wishes.
Follow-up: Have asthma and allergy, taking various medicine. Have chest heaviness, on inhaler. Do smoke. Related? 45 hours later
Hi, thanks for the reply. Just wanted to check if there are any serious repercussions of continuously using this medication.
Answered by Dr. Sujoy Khan 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes, but uncontrolled asthma is more problematic

Detailed Answer:
Yes, you are right in asking whether there are serious issues in continuous use of steroid inhalers.
There is a bit of systemic absorption, so after using steroid inhalers (without a spacer) rinse your mouth to prevent thrush.
Also check with your Chest Physician if you need Unicontin E 400 as switching to combination inhalers like Symbicort will help in stopping Unicontin.

Best Wishes.