Have asthma, GERD, anxiety disorder. Losing weight. On medication. How to get cured?

I am 60 years old with alot of health issues. My main things are Gerd/ibs severe anxiety disorder w/ panic attacks. I take meds for acid reflux, anxiety and toprol for my pvc's of my heart, which helps with blood pressure. I have asthma, and a neck injury from last year which causes pain. I usually have digestive flare ups, but they come and go. About 8 weeks ago, I had something stressful happen to me, and my anxiety went out of control and my acid reflux/ibs went crazy! I got constipated which I never get much with my IBS.. its usually the other way. I got nausea and couldn't eat without it bothering me. I got this pain under my left breast and right breast and across the middle.. its a actual pain, along with ache, bloat.. and then I had the constipation. Went to the ER 3x.. they did 2 chest xrays, xrays of my stomach, small/large intestine. Bloodwork.. said they saw only stool and gave me something to drink which cleaned me out. I came home and it took along time to regain my appetite because even though NOW I was hungry, I was afraid to eat for fear it would cause this to happen again. I lost weight, cause of not eating. Now I am hungry and eating smaller meals, no coffee, no pop, no fatty stuff. Been going, but its brown, but when flushes I see yellow. I did have my gallbladder out years ago, and was told this could be a reason? I went out and ate normal last nite, and came home and had pain across my entire upper stomach. oNE OF visits to the ER, the Dr. said I may have costochondritis.. it does hurt when I press on my sternum area all across my upper stomach area. I also had a total work up for my heart, stress, echo, NUMEROUS EKG's., wore a holter.. I have a very mild blockage, and was told to take a baby aspirin everyday, and was told that it may not even be anything because the pics were not clear because of my breasts. I also had a KUB, this was all done in the last 4 months.. would the xrays of my entire digestive system show my liver, pancreas, etc? would any of these test, like stomach xray, chest xray show the esphagus..?? Is this pain gas, costochondritis, .. Dr. said the colon is up under my left& right breast, and bends there and this is a sore spot for trapped gas? I am so worried of cancer.. had a colonoscopy/endo done 3 years ago,, all was good.
Posted Sat, 29 Dec 2012 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan 3 hours later
Hi there,

Thanks for writing in.

The body and mind are connected. That is the reason when you are anxious or stressed out, you get pains, stomach complaints etc.

In view of all your test results coming back as normal, I would take it as a positive sign. There is nothing to worry about.

Your stomach pain could be due to one or more of the following reasons: indigestion, trapped gas, acidity/gastritis,anxiety.

I would suggest that you drink warm water at regular intervals.
Eat smaller quantity but frequent meals (at least 5-6 times a day).
Avoid oily ,spicy XXXXXXX fried food..
Most importantly, sign up for yoga classes , if you have a good instructor in your area. Regular practice of yoga helps both the mind and the body. However, it will take time to get results. A healthy mind has a healthy body.

If you have symptoms like blood in the stools, unexplained weight loss(in spite of eating well, there is weight loss),tiredness, anaemia, eg.. then you would require further investigations. As of now, everything seems ok.

Hope I have answered your question. Do get back to me if you have any further queries.

Have a great day :)

Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan
Follow-up: Have asthma, GERD, anxiety disorder. Losing weight. On medication. How to get cured? 5 hours later
Thank you... I lost 27 pounds in 21/2 months but again I wasn't eating right at all. Now I look at food as a scary thing cause if I eat it, it may hurt again and this will start all over.. but I am eating healthier/no fat etc, lots of water, and the weight has stablized and I am hungry.. so eating little meals is exactly what I am doing.. But the tests (xrays of the stomach, small intestine/large intestine,chest xray kub xray would they show the liver,pancreas, esphagus? Thanks for the advice of yoga, sort of doing this therapy my therapist shows me how to do, listening to relaxation tapes, cd's and breathing exercises.. but I will look into the yoga..
Answered by Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan 4 hours later
Thanks for the reply.

X rays can help partly ; for example if there is a bowel perforation, there will be air under the diaphragm in the X XXXXXXX For eg. if there is intestinal obstruction, there will be air fluid levels. However, X XXXXXXX cannot tell us about all the conditions in the abdomen.

The best test to view the esophagus and stomach would be an endoscopy (Oesophagoscopy or gastroscopy).

Ultrasound Abdomen or CT (computed tomography) would be more helpful to know about organs like stomach,pancreas, liver cysts/tumors) etc. CT scan is more specific.

Hope this helps :)