Have asthma. Developed allergy, tickles in the throat, very hard to cough. Can lisenopril cause this?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
I have asthma and also take Blood Press problems. Have developed what I believe is a alergic reaction of a tickel in my throat especially in the evening and night times which then causes a very XXXXXXX hard cough, that just comes up all of a sudden. After talking to other friends with BP have been told my BP medication Lisenopril could be causing this to happen. I also take Diltiazem as well. Stopped taking the Lisenopril a few days ago to see if stopped the tickling of the throat, but still seems to be no different. What do you think?
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 2 hours later
Lisinopril is an Angiotensin converting enzyme inhibitor which is used in the treatment of high blood pressure. It typically causes a dry cough and is associated with a tickling or scratching sensation in the throat.
This cough usually resolves within 1-4 weeks of stopping the drug but may take almost 3 months to resolve in certain patients.
This stopping of lisinopril is the most effective treatment of ace inhibitor induced cough, though some other medicines like inhaled sodium cromoglycate and oral theophylline, indomethacin, ferrous sulphate are shown to provide some benefit and are under trials.
However, it is important to consult your physician before you stop the drug so that you can be switched to an alternate blood pressure lowering medication and optimum control of the blood pressure can be maintained.
A less likely possibility can be throat irritation due to certain medications that you might be taking in the regular inhaled medications. So do maintain good oral hygiene by gargling your throat with normal or warm water after you have taken your inhaler dose.
Hope I have answered your query.