Have artificial hip and got injury. Having severe pain . What cure should be done?

Dear Doctor
My wife ( 75 ) has 2 artifical hips and had a fall recently, The xrays taken at A & E showed no damge to her artificial hips but XXXXXXX opacity on left side near hip replacement XXXXXXX

She is in severe pain.

What is the cure - bed rest or movemnent ?

Yors sincerley

email - YYYY@YYYY

Posted Sun, 23 Dec 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Stephen Christensen 4 hours later
Hello. I'm Dr. Christensen.
I'm sorry your wife is in pain. Unfortunately, without further evaluation it isn't possible to answer your question. The opacity near her left hip implant could be a remnant of her prior surgery, or it could be a fracture fragment. If her hip was fractured during her recent fall or if she displaced her implant, she needs the immediate attention of an orthopedic surgeon, and excessive movement could aggravate her condition.
I suggest you contact your wife's primary physician immediately. Her hip should be examined more thoroughly before she begins any therapy or rehabilitation (MRI or bone scan would be appropriate in this situation).
I hope that helps, and I hope your wife's situation is addressed soon.