Have arthritis of knee, deformity in one leg. X-ray done. Any advice?

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Question
My Mother has arthritis in her right knee. she is been having this condition since the last 15 years. Also there seem to be a deformity in her leg. her right leg bends inwards towards her left leg. I am attaching an xray of her in standing position, this would give you an idea about the deformity and the arthritis condition. would request your suggestion on it.
Posted Sat, 4 May 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Deepak Goyal 12 hours later
Dear Sir
Many thanks for sending your query to XXXXXXX
From the xray, it appears that your mother has got severe Valgus deformity, mainly due to the deformities of the bones. As her age is only 45, she should undergo correction of the deformity using Osteotomy. Osteotomy may be required above as well as below knee. However, the final decision rests with the treating dr, as other findings also need to be considered.
I hope this shall help her.
Wishing her a speedy recovery.
Dr Deepak Goyal
Knee Joint Surgeon
Ahmedabad

Follow-up: Have arthritis of knee, deformity in one leg. X-ray done. Any advice? 6 minutes later
Does she require a knee replacement also. If yes then is Osteotomy along with knee replacement in a single sitting is ideal or first Osteotomy and then after some time knee replacement is ideal? also her age is 55, is it advisable for osteotomy for both above and below knee. What could be the possible complications.

Answered by Dr. Deepak Goyal 4 minutes later
Her xray reads her age as 45 and not 55?? Still my advise shall be the same.
I shall not recommend TKR along with osteotomy as a single stage.
Complications of Osteotomy depends on correction angle and correction position.
A lot of investigations are required before that. It shall not be ideal to understand that without detailed clincial examination.

I hope this shall help her.
Wishing her a speedy recovery.
Dr Deepak Goyal
Knee Joint Surgeon
Ahmedabad